Welcome to the
Updated on . Visited pages:
Here is a challenge for you:
show us your imagination, your capacity to give life to an unfinished map:
I have the authorization of its author, Frank Polster (aka Alien426).
July 13, 2002
The level E1M4 is "Darxide.wad".
In your txt file, you said:
"October 01, 1999, 23:47
The 'Darxide' WAD consists of very many level's best ideas.
Most of the original levels were not so good, so I decided to put 'em together to one WAD, that should be top.
I didn't have a state-of-the-art-editor like registered DeeP 97. No, I copied these eyecatchers 'by hand'.
I added some of my ideas and did some texture alignment etc.
But it's not fully playable as it is!"
"E1M4_Jive.wad" is a revised version of "Darxide", with monsters (one player mode), and many improvements and modifications, to make it fully playable.
My idea is to create a challenge: all the authors will have "Darxide", and their job will be to edit the map to make it fully playable, like me with "E1M4_Jive.wad"
What do you think about it?
Do you agree?
Frank Polster's answer (July 20, 2002):
I'm quite busy at the moment (family and work) so please excuse my late reply.
Do whatever you want with my maps. I guess the participator's versions of Darxide
will be put onto your website, so I can download them?! Will you please add links
to the modifications (you mentioned one that is needed for yours) I need to play them
- Port to use: the one you want, no matter which one (Zdoom, ZdoomGl, Jdoom, GZDoom, Legacy, etc...
- You are not allowed to create rooms not needed (I mean: the only new rooms must be created to join the existing ones!) But these new rooms can be as huge as you want! Why? Because:
- The goal is to make a playable and embedded wad, but not to create a new one...
- We can modify existing rooms I assume?
- Modify... Yes, but only to embed it: no fundamental architecture's change! You can add things, change textures, lighting...
- Imagine that you are a designer. You're in an empty room, and its owner ask you: "Embed it! As it is, I can't live in it. I can't explore the existing domain".
- To resume, at the end of your work, we must be able to say: "Hey! I recognize it: it was "Darxide"!
- Can we change the sector height where it doesn't change the architecture?
- I mean some of those rooms have stairs that go up to 300+ and the next room over has a floor height of 96. It's kind of silly to lead a character up some stairs just to have them go down more stairs or a lift.
- Of course: you can change height, length & width, if you respect the global architecture.
The recommended port is Doom Legacy, but you are not obliged to use it (you can make a map playable with vanilla Doom). Be careful, your map must be opengl 100% compatible!
- No new texture from another author than yourself: only the classical ones, but you are allowed to change the used textures if you want!
- You are allowed to create new textures: to embellish the map with textures not in the original Doom.wad
- You are not allowed to create rooms not needed, but, of course, you can create rooms to teleport enemies from.
- A txt file is asked: for your references, the editor used... The best will be to use "WadTemp.txt" (included in the zip file)
- How do you submit wads? Send them to me:
A good idea will be to make ONE screenshot (the most beautiful possible) to show your work: 800x600x24 BPP
(you can add a frame to embed it)
Here is the link to have the file:
You will find the map ("Darxide.wad"), plus my own work on it ("PolsDic_E1M4_Jive.wad"), the needed "WadTemp.txt", and this page (for the rules)
Last thing: there is no limited date to do it!
I mean: as soon as an author sends his map to me, I will put it in remote loading on DLW.
All the wads will be downloadable on my site.
A specialpage with all the needed info (wad's weight, author's name, txt file) willbe created, in the same way that I present all wads on DLW.